Baldness may soon be a thing of the past. Doctors are one-step closer to “curing” baldness, which impacts an estimated 35 million men. Among them, celebrities like LeBron James and Jimmy Kimmel-- who both try hard to disguise it.
The secret is Vitamin D. Men of a certain age suffer with receding hairlines because the hair follicles simply stop growing. Eventually, the hair follicles turn into regular skin cells and hair will never grow there-- ever again. But not so fast. Doctors think they can reverse this process by manipulating Vitamin D and how the body absorbs it. Once that pill is created and manufactured, you can be sure it will be worth almost as much as Viagra. Guys don't dig going bald. Just ask Prince William.
10 Foods To Avoid Before Bed from foxnews.com
1. Ice Cream. A bowl of ice cream might be the most comforting bad-breakup bed accompaniment, but there's a limit to its soothing properties. For starters, ice cream is loaded with fat, so you’re not going to give your body a chance to burn any of it before bed, and then all of the sugar is going to pump your body full of energy right before you hit the hay, so you’ll be sending your body divergent messages. On top of that, the sugar just gets stored and turned to fat, too, so this is a lose-lose situation all around.
2.Celery. Seeing celery on this list might surprise you, but there’s a simple reason for it: celery is a natural diuretic. What that means is it’s going to make you pee a bit more than usual. Diuretics elevate the rate of urination because they push water through the system. So that means that if you’re dipping into too much celery right before bed, your body might wake you out of your slumber for a pee break.
3. Pasta. Pasta is a fast and easy fix for those craving a quick bite before bed, but it’s not your ideal nighttime snack. Pastas are straight carbohydrates, and if you’re going to bed right after eating, that’s all going to turn into fat. On top of that, the things added to pasta -- oils, cheeses and heavy cream or tomato sauces -- will only add to the crowd in your love handles.
4. Pizza. The layer of tomato sauce has high levels of acidity, which is just another catalyst for acid reflux, but in general, fatty and greasy toppings -- especially high-fat meats and cheeses -- do a good enough job of their own on stirring up heartburn. That’s not the wakeup call you want at night. If you're going to do it, be nice to your stomach and check out these nutritional pizza toppings.
5. Candy Bars. If nightmares about the monster in the closet or the gremlins under the bed disturb your sleep, you might want to avoid candy bars. One of the easiest -- and worst -- ways of breaking out of a deep slumber is from a nightmare that’s very real to us. A recent study has shown that 7 out of 10 people who eat junk foods like candy bars before bed are more likely to be prone to nightmares. The hypothesis is that the high levels of sugar create more nightmarish brain waves.
6. Cereal. Mitt Romney loves a good bowl of cold cereal right before bed, but he might want to be careful which one he chooses or he won’t get the rest he needs. Cereals often contain high amounts of refined sugar and are chock-full of carbohydrates. That might set you off on a bit of a spike and crash in your blood sugar levels, which is not the ideal way to put your body at peace before bedtime.
7. Garlic. You might want to avoid garlic before bed if you’re sleeping with a partner, but it’s best avoided for reasons besides bad breath. Garlic is known as a “hot herb,” and, along with spicy food, it tends to have some properties in it that can cause heartburn.
8. Dark Chocolate. Who doesn’t like to sneak a little nub of chocolate before bed to get that warm feeling inside? Unfortunately, if you’re aiming for a good night’s sleep, dark chocolate is one of the foods you’d better avoid. Dark chocolate is a sneaky source of caffeine, which is known to perk you up. Almost all chocolate contains some level of caffeine/
9. Alcohol. There’s a general belief that copious amounts of alcohol puts you into a deep daze and produces great sleep, but that’s not fully accurate. While alcohol does help you get to sleep, it doesn’t lead to long-lasting and refreshing rest. Alcohol actually interferes with the restorative functions of sleep, often paving the way for shallow sleep and several awakenings throughout the night.
10. Red Meat. After a big portion of red meat -- be it a nice brisket or a big, juicy steak -- most of us undo the top button on our jeans and give way to the snooze-inducing itis. The problem is that red meat is loaded with proteins and fats that will keep your body hard at work throughout the night.
SLEEPLESS WITH SUCCESS: Famous People Who Barely Sleep
Posted: Wednesday 11:56PM Sep. 19, 2012 PST
(BALTIMORE, MARYLAND) Research has shown that too little sleep causes stress, premature aging, and in many cases serious illness. So the conventional wisdom is that we need anywhere from 7 to 9 hours of daily rest. Teens require much more, and working moms get significantly less. But they’re not alone. Lots of famous people appear to thrive on being sleep deprived:
Kelly Ripa barely has time to sleep with her hectic schedule: Beyond her morning show, she’s raising 3 children, and operates a production company. Then she finds time to exercise as if she’s training for the Olympics.
Jay Leno stays up late at night—just like his viewers. But he’s also an early riser. Leno estimates he regularly gets about 5 hours of sleep.
Martha Stewart told CNN that she sleeps less than four hours a night.
The new CEO of Yahoo, Marissa Mayer admits to a working week that totals 130 hours. More than 3-times the typical 40-hour workweek. Mayer rarely finds time to sleep, so instead, she has scheduled vacations every 4-months to unwind and recharge.
Donald Trump always has to be better, smarter, and richer than everyone else. Same when it comes to his sleep cycle. He claims to lie down for only 3 or maybe 4 hours.
FIFTY SHADES: Summer Beach Read Most Often Left at Hotel
(CHICAGO, ILLINOIS) The Travelodge hotel chain has listed the books most often left behind by guests. During the past year, nearly 22,000 books have been left behind in 36,500 Travelodge hotel rooms.
We’ve all pulled that trick: Your suitcase is over-stuffed and you need to jettison some items. The bigger, bulkier, and heaviest things are the first to go. So it is of little surprise that hardcover books gets tossed.
Travelodge ranks the following books as the ones most often ditched:
Fifty Shades of Grey (E.L. James)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)
The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography (Steve Jobs)
The Confession (John Grisham)
Randy Jackson the Big winner as New ‘Idol’ Lineup Set
Posted: 01:43AM September 17, 2012 PST
IT’S OFFICIAL: YOUR NEW ‘AMERICAN IDOL’ JUDGES WILL BE MARIAH CAREY, NICKI MINAJ, KEITH URBAN, AND ONE OLD ONE, RANDY JACKSON – AT LEAST ONE TV INSIDER BELIEVES THEY COULD’VE LOCKED IN THIS PANEL A MONTH AGO, BUT INSTEAD FLOATED NEARLY EVERY NAME IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS, SUCKING UP ALL THE PRESS THAT WOULD’VE GONE TO “THE X FACTOR” – IF THAT WAS THE PLAN, IT WORKED – RATINGS FOR COWELL’S SHOW WERE DOWN AGAIN THURSDAY, EVEN WITHOUT “THE VOICE” GOING AGAINST IT
– BY THE WAY, THE BIG WINNER HERE WAS RANDY JACKSON – HE’S STILL MARIAH CAREY’S MANAGER – AND CHANCES ARE, THE 10% OF HER $17 MILLION DOLLAR SALARY IS MORE THAN “IDOL” EVER PAID HIM BEFORE...
Parents Just Don't Understand
A new survey by Huggies Diapers reveals that 66% of parents regret spending too much time at work during their child's early years. Other findings:
- 75% of parents have one parenting regret
- 60% of parents with more than one child changed their approach with their second child to make sure they did not end up with the same regrets
- 63% of parents wish they did more activities with their child, such as teaching them to swim or playing a sport
- 25% of parents worry that their youngster’s childhood wasn’t as fun as it could have been
- 17% of parents didn’t enjoy their child’s early years as much as they should have.
THE TOP 20 REGRETS FROM PARENTS
Working too much
Worrying too much about the little things that didn’t really matter
Not playing with them more
Not going on more holidays
Not taking enough photos
Spending too much time away from them
Not filming enough events or milestones in their lives
Not taking them on ‘big’ holidays such as Disneyland
Not encouraging them to take up a hobby/more hobbies
Not having a shared hobby
Not reading enough to them at bedtime
Spending too much time worrying about keeping the house clean
Not taking them swimming more often
Not letting them take part in messy activities more often
Not teaching them to swim earlier
Not seeing/being at some of the milestones in their life
Not making enough of Christmas/birthdays with them
Being too over-protective
Always waiting for the next milestone instead of enjoying the current one
Not enjoying days out more
9 Amazing Benefits Of Dropping 10 Pounds from yahoo.com
Take off just 10 pounds, and you’ll experience all of these health benefits and more: a better memory, a happier mood, shrunken fat cells, better sex, less pressure on your joints and a lower risk for diabetes.
Save Brainpower: Women scored one point lower on a memory test for every unit higher in body-mass index. Translation: Fat may make you forgetful. Shed that last 10 and, chances are, you’ll stay brilliant.
Get Faster: Flab’s a drag. Literally. For every pound of fat you lose, you run up to 4 seconds faster per mile; with 10 gone, that’s up to 40 seconds off your mile time. Your body won’t have to work as hard to go forward.
Improve Your Mood: You can feel more confident and upbeat by peeling off that tenner. It’s enough of a change to raise your body image and energy level; it may even help lift depression.
Be Ready for Baby, Whenever: Just a small amount of excess weight may alter pregnancy hormones such as progesterone—which can affect egg quality and prevent ovulation. If you can’t ovulate, you can’t get pregnant.
Shrink Your Fat Cells: Yep, you’ll actually make the cells smaller. That means a tinier waist and other big payoffs such as a healthier heart—ab flab raises your risk for heart disease.
Earn More Dough: Women with excess pounds make nearly $10,000 less per year than their average-weight coworkers. Possibly they are less assertive. Slim down and you may up your take-charge attitude and your take-home pay.
Sex Up Your Sex Life: The biggest benefits in the bedroom come from weight loss and regular exercise. Both put women in touch with their bodies in a positive way, which increases sex drive. Plus, there’s no lingerie sexier than confidence—and a small loss can take you there.
Dodge Diabetes: You know that extra pounds can lead to prediabetes (and diabetes!). But shedding 5 to 10 percent of your weight can slash that risk by nearly 60 percent. If you’re 150 pounds, a 7.5 pound loss may keep you healthy.
Stay Off the Sidelines: Downsize yourself and your risk for injury diminishes, too. Every pound of body weight translates to about 4 pounds of force on your ankles, knees and hips when you’re walking, so 10 extra pounds on your frame means 40 more pounds of pressure on your joints. Trim down slightly and your joints will suffer less wear and tear.
SUMMER SLUMP: Hollywood Sees 3% Drop in Ticket Sales
Posted: 11:50PM September 03, 2012 PST
(HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA) Now that Labor Day has passed, and the Summer of 2012 is officially over, the Hollywood studios are looking back and asking: What the heck went wrong?
This summer could be the worst in Hollywood’s history in nearly 2 decades. Attendance this summer was the lowest since at least 1993. Just over 500 million people went to the movies. Ticket sales over the summer months account for about 40% of the annual total, yet this summer they declined from 2011 an estimated 3%.
Who’s to blame? The studio executives point fingers at the Summer Olympics for being tough competition and James Holmes for scaring away crowds. Holmes is better known as the “Dark Knight Shooter”. He terrorized a packed theater on opening night of “The Dark Knight Rises”.
The studio ought to look in the mirror. They can’t attract crowds because they’re making a lousy product. The epitome of this awful summer move season is last weekend’s release “The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure”. It earned barely half a million dollars on over 2000 screens and is now one of the biggest flops of all time.